Cut out the velvet, the chintz and the fancy gilded dinnerware and give me industrial furniture, mid-century modern antiques, funky global accents and young-person-friendly affordable art? If pinterest has taught me anything, it's that my design sensibilities aren't exactly unique...much as I often wish they were.
So here's my challenge. (Deep breath) It's almost definitely insane, but here goes:
Every morning (Mon-Fri only) for the next 30 days, I'm going to pin my One Kings Lane picks to my pinterest board, "My 'One Kings Lane' Picks"
I want to keep the guidelines fairly fast and loose to start out-- at least until I can figure out what sticks. But here's what I have in mind:
- Why One Kings Lane? Yeah, I know-- there's Joss & Main, Fab, and others. But for whatever reason, my preference is for OKL. I'd love to do a sweep of the big three, but I do have a day job.
- Selection Criteria: I'm going from the gut. If it grabs my attention, I'll pin it. Maybe I'll regret it seconds later, but hey, life is full of regrets. You can safely expect the following:
- Vintage mid-century modern (or MCM-inspired)
- Wood and lots of it. Anything with a live edge or exposed dovetail joinery drives me crazy (in a good way...)
- Blues, greys and aqua
- An industrial edge: reclaimed wood, steel, concrete
- Ikat-mania. And other stuff that's you or I would probably call Ikat, causing our design snob friends to shudder in horror and say through gritted teeth, "Um, that's Batik..."
- Affordable artwork, especially of the colorful variety
- I'll probably skim over household items like cookware, books, soaps, etc. But I may include them if the design is particularly compelling.