"" MaDDI: OKL Challenge - Day Seven: Channeling Emily Henderson (Channeling Ian Brennan)

Friday, October 26, 2012

OKL Challenge - Day Seven: Channeling Emily Henderson (Channeling Ian Brennan)

Oh, Emily Henderson-- how do I love thee? Let me count the ways. This lady just gets it. She understands people and real stuff like budgets. Most importantly-- with her possibly patented style diagnosis test, she understands that people are like onions (or parfaits, if you prefer). We have layers. And sometimes we have stuff that's not perfect, but we're not willing to toss it just yet. In my humble opinion (but also her own!), no episode of Secrets from a Stylist showcases her magic touch quite like the pilot episode.

I think it's the chemistry between Emily and long-time friend-- and as she'll endearingly never miss an opportunity to tell you-- co-creater of Glee, Ian Brennan. You can just see that they have the sweetest friendship. You know that kind of friendship where you go to someone's house for a party and go around removing throw pillows from the sofa because there are too many? Yup, that is true friendship people. The kind of friend who won't hate you for micromanaging their couch.

While I may have absent-mindedly adjusted or smoothed on occasion, I've never actually removed anything from a friend's sofa. But I every time I go over to my friend Margot's house, I have this weird tick of going through every room examining everything like I'm the fricking landlord or a city health inspector. I bet it seems super bizarre to the other party guests, but really it's just because she's always coming up with cool, clever ways of re-arranging her stuff. Or making vignettes out of tiny figurines. (Oh god, I hope she's making the vignettes. I always sort of assumed they weren't moving themselves, but just maybe...) And sometimes when someone's such a close friend that they're more like family, you sorta forget it's not your house? Guilty.

Enough about me. Let's get back to Emily Henderson. Another cool thing about her? She's not afraid to mix silver and brass. And that takes cojones, let me tell you. I think my dream job might be Emily's assistant. Is it strange that my dream job is to be someone else's (almost definitely) unpaid intern? Yeah, maybe. And you bet my dad and/or therapist would have a few things to say about it. But, people, she's just THAT cool. And her self-proclaimed best work is when she channels Ian Brennan's style in his L.A. home.

So for Day Seven of my 30-day One Kings Lane Challenge, I'm going to channel Emily Henderson channeling Ian Brennan. She diagnoses his layers as FDR Chic + 60s British Mod + Global Backpacker. Second-degree channeling, folks. Buckle your seat belts-- it's going to be a wild ride.

Inspiration - Living Room

Read Emily's post on this room here.
Photograph by Bethany Nauert. Styling by Emily Henderson.

Photograph by Bethany Nauert. Styling by Emily Henderson.

Photograph by Bethany Nauert. Styling by Emily Henderson.

The Look - Living Room


Sources (All items sourced from sales available today on One Kings Lane. Check website for sale end-date. I used a couple pieces from sales that started prior to today, but all items shown are available as of right now.)

1. Vintage Industrial Gear Mold VIII$119
2. Vintage 40-w Light Bulb - $123. Comte de Buffon Engraving II - $994. Comte de Buffon Engraving I - $99

5. Shilly 22x22 Pillow, Winter White$59
6. Aronson Lantern$399
7. Hazel Sofa - $999
8. Hayes Coffee Table$1,099
9. Tapered Iron Planter - $59
10. 11" Etched Iron Pot - $79
11. Boxford Rug, Cream/Sage/Multi$629.00 - $3,399.00
12. Willhelm Accent Table$449
13. Keith Wing Back Chair - $1,899. Shown with Union Jack Pillows, Pair - $199.
14. Trace Demilune Console - $199



The Inspiration - TV Room

Read Emily's post on this room here.
Photograph by Bethany Nauert. Styling by Emily Henderson.

Photograph by Bethany Nauert. Styling by Emily Henderson.

Photograph by Bethany Nauert. Styling by Emily Henderson.

The Look - TV Room


Sources (All items (except Ikea rug) sourced from sales available today on One Kings Lane. Check website for sale end-date. I used a couple pieces from sales that started prior to today, but all items shown are available as of right now.)

1. Paperweave, Honey Gold (wall covering) - $249 (Emily's source is Designyourwalls.com)
9. Highland End Table - $259
11. Colton Sofa - $4,999 (Yikes! Try Sofas.com's Long Island Sofa for a similar silhouette with happy price tag.) Shown with Bhutan Microfiber  Pillow, Cumin - $89

Also, a few of the items Emily used to style the photos of the TV room (like the Bodum French Press and Perimeter Tray) are available via her Open Sky collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment