"" MaDDI: The Look: Ski Lodge in the Alps

Monday, December 17, 2012

The Look: Ski Lodge in the Alps

The weather in New York has been fairly miserable of late. Cold, damp and dreary. But mostly damp. I don't mind cold around Christmas time, but if I'm going to be bundled up indoors, I'd infinitely prefer to see snow outside my window than rain.

The Inspiration

That's why I'm taking a mental vacation to a cozy ski lodge. Something modern, but with decor that reflects the winter spirit of a ski destination. Do I ski? I sure don't. But I excel at curling up in front of a fire in my PJs and drinking hot chocolate. What better place to hone my hibernation skills than this place in the Alps?

Elle Decor via Colleen Fox Interiors

For me, this room walks the perfect line between contemporary and rustic. The blue and grey cut the rustic color palette and the contemporary lines of the furniture keep the "cabin chic" element in check.

The Springbok hide pillows and cubes definitely make a statement. I have to admit they are really striking. While I'm not anti-hide decor, after seeing this adorable photo of a Springbok, I'm not sure I would want 13 of their hides in my living room. I might, however, want one for a backyard pet.

If you're crazy about Springbok decor, Mecox Gardens carries ottomans and throw pillows can be purchased on ebay. (As far as I can tell from some light internet research, Springbok are quite common in certain parts of Africa, i.e. they not endangered.)

The Look

For The Look, I took a slightly more animal-friendly approach. The notable exception is the inclusion of sheepskins. The way the sheepskins were clustered around the coffee table struck me as smart and creative, so I didn't want to cut them out altogether. (For a completely animal-friendly look, swap in a flokati for a sheepskin. Flokatis are woven from sheared sheep's wool.)

If you're looking for art with a winter theme, I love Art.com's collection of vintage ski photography. Especially the old ads for ski wear-- so charmingly retro. (I used Art.com strategy #3 to find these ski photos.)

As an apartment dweller, I'm excited about the strides made towards attractive ethanol fireplaces. Ethanol (and gel fuel) fireplaces produce odorless and smokeless flames. Best of all, they require no venting and often mount right onto the wall. Hooray! Cozy fireplaces for everyone! While not exactly cheap, they're a steal compared to the cost of installing a gas or woodburning fireplace.


Sources

  1. Praying Mantis Lamp, Organic Modernism - $575 (Or the Serge Mouille, if you're looking to spend $7,380.)
  2. Ski Wear, 24" x 18" Photographic Print, Art.com - $29.99 (unframed) and Acrobatic Skier Jack Reddish in Somersault at Sun Valley Ski Resort, 24" x 18" Photographic Print, Art.com - $89.99 (unframed)
  3. Carved Wood Deer Head, by Roost via Heaven's Gate - $550 (For a budget-friendly version, try cardboard or Paper Mache.) 
  4. Reclaimed Weather Wood, Stikwood - $80 (10 sq. feet of stick-on wood paneling.)
  5. Chinchilla Throw, Brown, via One Kings Lane - $99
  6. Humphrey Round End Table, via One Kings Lane - $199
  7. Rens Sheepskin, Ikea - $29.99 each (If you're not up to braving Ikea during the holidays, try One Kings Lane's 2' x 3' sheepskin for $45.)
  8. SoHo Ethanol Wall-Mounted Fireplace, via Overstock.com - $339.99
  9. Ivan Sofa in Dustin Ink (custom fabric), Room & Board - $1,699

To complete the look with grommeted linen drapes in pale grey, try West Elm's Linen Cotton in Platinum, $49-$89 each, (Item 1 below) or Restoration Hardware's Classic Linen in Fog, $209-$279 each (Item 2). If you're willing to forgo the grommets for a better price, I love Ikea's Aina Curtain in Gray, $49.99/pair (Item 3). For hardware, I like West Elm's Oversized Metal Rod in Glossy Black for this look, $69-$99 (Item 4).



2 comments:

  1. So beautiful, Alex. Wish I could have that blue sofa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A coffee table just like the one in the photo is available on One Kings Lane today thru 10/22.https://www.onekingslane.com/product/17925/1087980

    ReplyDelete